Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Restaurant Week 2015: Salt Grill & Sky Bar

The bi-annual Restaurant Week is here again! This time round, we had a priority booking code thanks to the Imagine card! I was anxiously waiting for 12 midnight so I could book it asap. Gotta be fast ya know. For the past few times, I've been using the Facebook code which was available to public so that's not exactly very exclusive. The reservation was opened 4 days earlier for Amex card holders so yay!

The annoying part was the newsletter gave a code but there was nowhere I could key the code in! I accidentally clicked on the newsletter which brought me to the 'special' page to key in the code and I was like -_________- They didn't say we have to click through the newsletter! 

Anyway, after hearing so many good reviews about Salt Grill & Sky Bar, it was definitely our choice! 

March is a very happening month for us, with at least an event every weekend, so 14/15 March was our only available date for Restaurant Week. Thankfully I managed to get a slot for their first seating on 14 March. 

This was the first time going beyond level 4 of Ion. I didn't know about Ion Sky until The Smart Local blogged about it. To get to Salt Grill, go to the concierge desk at level 4. Salt Grill has their staff stationed there for reservations. The staff showed us the way to the lift and oh my, there was actually a queue to go up. Since we were guests, we moved all the way to the front!

Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Thought 6pm would be a perfect timing because we would be able to catch the sunset at level 55, but alas, we did not get a window seat. Besides, huge gloomy clouds were fast approaching.

Restaurant Week's menu!
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
We ordered some cocktails and truffle mash to go with our dish. More on that later!
Salt Grill & Sky BarThe waiter came to help us with our napkins and bread were served shortly after.
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Our view! Okay, it looked pretty bright in the restaurant but it wasn't. I just set my white balance to get an accurate colour of how it would be in a proper lighting. The restaurant setting is rather dim to the extent that green looked like black. It sucks that there was a storm brewing which made everything dark and gloomy x10000.
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Shortly after we took this selfie, a waiter came and volunteered to help us take a photo. Very attentive :)
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
We didn't have to wait long for our entrees to be served.
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
My salmon sashimi with nam jim dressing, cucumber and shallot. I like how the salmon sashimi were finely sliced and all the pieces were rather even. It was refreshing because it was a fusion of Thai and Japanese. This was definitely a first for me.
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
 His Sydney crab omelette with enoki mushroom and herb salad, miso mustard broth. It was very tasty, not very salty. The crab meat was succulent.
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
 Before the storm..
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
Foreground: City of Love
Background: Aperol Spritzer
I love how sweet City of Love is, and the mini umbrella! It's been ages since I last played with one. I don't think I can remember when was the last time I have actually seen one around. Unlike some other places which has non-existent alcohol in their cocktails, Salt's cocktails are actually quite powerful!
Salt Grill & Sky Bar

Salt Grill & Sky Bar
His Barramundi, petit pois a la francaise. The peas were wow. Like, I've never eaten such delicious peas before. Lol. I'm not exaggerating. The barramundi had a firm texture. Not too hard, not too soft. It was just right. I only had a bite hence, not much comments. A did enjoy his fish though!
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
My grilled tara valley tenderloin, braised fennel, parsley puree, bordelaise sauce. That blob at the back is truffle mash. The tenderloin was done to my liking - medium rare. The waiter recommended cider mustard. I am not a fan of mustard but cider mustard was a delightful addition to the tenderloin. Braised fennel was rather interesting! Feels like cabbage to me =X I'm not a parsley lover so after a small taste of the puree, I left it there. It's green, but under the dark lighting, it looked like a black blob when I was having the meal. Truffle mash is smooth, fluffy and creamy with no lumps at all. Combine it with truffle and it's heaven. Really. Pffft what's truffle fries? GIVE ME ALL THE TRUFFLE MASH!

Our last course: dessert!
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
My mocha brulee, white chocolate ice cream, coffee meringue and oreo crumbs. I polished the entire plate. You can never go wrong with choclate and coffee.
Salt Grill & Sky Bar
His yuzu panna cotta, mandarin segments, ginger beer sorbet. We both did not really like this dish. I hate giner so sorbet was definitely a no-go for me. The yuzu panna cotta was really sour. Then again, it's yuzu, what are we expecting?

Our tea came shortly after they cleared our empty plates. We just sat there, chatted and enjoyed the ambience. It wasn't very crowded which surprised me. Maybe that's why we were not 'chased' out even though it was past our time slot. (The first seating had a two hour allocation.)

It was a really pleasant dinner at Salt Grill & Sky Bar.The food was good, the view too. (Okay, I suppose the view would be way better if it wasn't raining) The service is impeccable. Every now and then, the staff would come and check in on us to see if the food was okay. Not only that, they remembered my name and would address me on a first-name basis. Good service start from remembering and addressing diners by name.

Given that it's Restaurant Week, I did not expect such wonderful service. I mean, some places will treat you like second class citizens just because you're paying a cheaper rate compared to a non-Restaurant Week diner. You can really see a stark contrast of service between the two groups of diners. Well, definitely not here at Salt Grill.

We'll definitely go back to Salt for a meal on a special occasion or something! :)

Salt Grill & Sky Bar
2 Orchard Turn, Ion Orchard
#55-01 Singapore 238801
Tel: +65 6592 5118
Website: http://www.saltgrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment